<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 17, 2004

Open Letter To KIRO TV (Local CBS Affiliate)

Subject: Yes, Another E-Mail About CBS News

Dear KIRO Television management (including Mr. Woodin [KIRO General Manager]),

I’ve been a fan of KIRO for years, and usually turn to it for local news. I have never been significantly disappointed with your local news coverage and find it to be frequently more fair and complete than your local competitors.

I understand that you are not responsible for the content of CBS’s 60 Minutes II. However, it is over your airwaves (or in my case, cable signal) that this “news” show is propagated to your viewers.

I just heard Mr. Woodin on John Carlson’s radio program on KVI. And I have to say I was disappointed by his refusal to take any responsibility for the content of the two most-recent 60 Minutes II shows. As I said, I understand KIRO did not generate the content. But KIRO did broadcast it, and therefore must accept some responsibility; if not for those two installments, then for the decision to continue to broadcast such a blatantly suspect show in the future.

As Mr. Woodin pointed out, KIRO and CBS are separate business entities. By that same very valid logic, is not KIRO responsible for what it chooses to broadcast? I find KIRO’s refusal to take any responsibility whatsoever to be troubling at best. And it represents the first significant disappointment I’ve experienced as a viewer of KIRO TV.

I would appreciate a response to my questions. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I will be posting this letter, and your response, on my personal website.

Thank you for your attention,

Ken

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?