<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Over The Edge And Accelerating

Well, now KIRO Radio has jumped on the Rather Bandwagon To Journalistic Hell. They fired one of their radio show hosts for criticizing Rather’s ludicrous behavior over the last several weeks.

Brian Maloney spoke to the Associated Press (see link below): “On the talk show that I host, or hosted, I said I felt Rather should either retire or be forced out over this..."

Of course I’m not really shocked. But I felt the need to e-mail the management at KIRO. Here it is:

Simply Amazing (re: Brian Maloney)

To Whom It May Concern:

I’ll state right at the start that I’ve not been a consistent listener to KIRO Radio. That said, I simply am amazed that your station decided to fire Mr. Maloney for his comments on his radio show. You’ve now managed to reach up to your Network partner, fumbled through all it has available, and selected it’s “journalistic ethics” to incorporate into your own organization.

I’m amazed to see that, given a chance for the local affiliate to distance itself from CBS’s shenanigans, you chose to show just how far down the tree the rot has progressed.

I’m thrilled that your recent action has come to national attention (link: http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/entertainment/9701134.htm
), and it should be alarming to you that you no longer have the liberty to act in nakedly self-serving ways without it coming to light.

That era is over. And I would suggest that you replace the arrogance to which you’ve become accustomed with a new concept: journalistic integrity.

But that choice is up to you. And in the new media environment, where people have far more choices, the result of a disreputable choice will be swift and severe. Your competitors, and your outraged listeners, will see to it.

Perhaps the fact that you’re in Seattle will save you from this almost inevitable consequence. Who knows? But you should ask yourself one important question: Why did we make such a foolish decision? If the answer has anything to do with motivations that are not rooted in journalistic ethics then you’re going over the same precipice that Dan Rather just pioneered.

Regards,

Ken

PS In the interests of full disclosure: I will be posting this e-mail (as well as any response you provide) on my personal website. That’s what we do these days. You might want to think about that.


(Hat tip to Mike at Different tack, who actually phoned me on this)

Comments:
Thanks for the Hat Tip. I guess this just goes to show you that the bias in the Main Stream media really does exist.

Kiro's response:
"KIRO Radio's general manager, Ken Berry, did not return a call seeking comment. A staff member at the station said Berry would not comment because it is a personnel matter."

Personal matter? What was it? That Brian dared to
speak out against Rather while the rest of CBS was circling the wagons. Talk about your "brown shirt" tactics.
 
No problem, Mike.

And just to prove that I'm not biased myself (and because I can't resist correcting you!), the quote said "personnel" matter, not "personal." IOW, having to do with the management/supervision/termination of an employee.

Either way, it's a completely lame-ass dodge.
 
Ken,
I lifted the quote out of Saturdays PI web article. To my sheegrin the PI edited and corrected the article. Of course, now they claim it was due to ratings...Like you or anyone with a brain can believe that line. To use your favorite quote:" Move along, Nothing to see here."
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?