<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

A Shout Out To My Younger Readers

Okay. I’ll admit: I was a little surprised at the reaction I received (regarding the rather heated post I’d provided the other day) this evening from a few young people I encountered. Friends of my daughter.

To you folks I want to explain my reaction. Being a conservative, I tend toward conservative values, and that tends to direct me to be cautious about exposing you to harsh language, which was running wild in that post.

Don’t get me wrong. I get it. I know you hear it every day. But you don’t (I hope) often hear it from people like me (ya know, old, decrepit, stodgy, whatever). So it worried me a bit to post it, making it available to you. From me.

I just want to tell you that I do respect your integrity, and don’t want do disrespect you by shielding you from things you need to know, and things you need to read, however it’s said.

As Steve indicated to me tonight, profanity cuts both ways: It either hides, or purposely obscures, a lack of logic, or it emphasizes passion.

This conversation I had was almost in real time. I responded and reacted to it that way. I said what I think and I don’t apologize for that. Not one bit.

I decided to reprise it here because I thought it was important.

And I think, considering, I’ll post other conversations I’ve had, or will have, again. Because my readers took it well, and were mature enough to understand what was going on.

It was “my bad” that I didn’t expect that, that maturity. I don’t think I’ll make that mistake again.

You do, after all, get it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?