<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know. Again. I know! It’s been a long time since I posted.

But I gave it a rest after the election. Cleared my head, as it were. Got into a few fights elsewhere with recalcitrant Dems who either refused to believe they’d lost, or demonstrated exceptional talent with sore-looserism.

That said, I know it’s time to get back with my loyal readership (both of you – heh!).

Check this from Ann Coulter:
But Republican politicians simply can't grasp that they are a majority party and the Democrats are going the way of the Whigs.
Now, I don’t remember if I said it here (shamefully, I may not have), but I have to tell you that I’ve been saying this for about three years now. Not one thing in the last three years, or even the last eight, has given me to believe otherwise.

In Ann’s article, she’s trying to slap some sense into the Republicans’ heads, to get them to not only see that they’re the majority party, but to internalize it, realize it, and do something with it.

I understand completely. And I also understand the Republicans having trouble doing so.

Think of it this way: Can you imagine a world without the current Democratic Party? I don’t mean in a wistful way, daydreaming about a rational Supreme Court and liberating tort reform, but for real. A situation where the Dems have split into two parties, for example.

I’ll be honest. I can’t. Not really. The Dems are just there. Part of the landscape. Part of my mental image of the World-As-It-Is. I always have, in the back of my mind, this suspicion that they’re going to pull some rabbit out of the hat to get back on top. And I think that there is some not-unreasonable reasons for my thinking this. Take, for example, the Democrats’ current efforts (likely to be successful, by the way) to steal the Washington Governor’s election.

They’re simply willing to do things that wouldn’t even occur to most Republicans and Conservatives. Ann Coulter repeatedly makes reference to “playing fair.” And although she dismisses such concerns, or our concern about that, I think that’s important. And so do many who think like me. The problem is that many of us who have been long-term political junkies know that the Dems are not worried by such concerns. And that’s a little scary.

But, in the end, Ann’s right. We all need to get over it, and understand that we’ve not only won – we’ve been winning for some time now. And are likely to continue to do so. And things like the Dems stealing this Washington Governor’s election are only the death throes of a rotting political party. Yes, the wounded and dying animal can bite you before it dies, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s not long for this world.

Ann also refers to our collective, and reflexive, touchiness with regard to the Mainstream Media (herein after called the MSM). She’s right in saying that we’re too afraid of whether Dan Rather is going to say nice things about us. Here, too, we need to understand, fully, that the world is a different place and we need to incorporate this changed world into our understanding of the situation in which we find ourselves.

We already saw a real-world example of this in the Swift Boat Veterans (SBVs) vs. Kerry conflagration. Bob Shrum, and other Kerry advisors, encouraged Kerry to not immediately respond because they believed that the MSM would not give the SBVs airtime to redress their grievances. And Shrum et. al. were right in that. But what they found out, much to their dismay, and our delight, was that the MSM wasn’t “all that” anymore. And we, too, need to take a lesson from that.

And here’s the thing: our own feelings of insecurity, inferiority, and vulnerability stem from a knowledge, now outdated and wrong, that the MSM would kick our ass sideways whenever they could, and would distort our message to the public, given half a chance. Sure, they still can and will do that, but it just doesn’t matter anymore. We now have the New Media: talk radio, the Internet, and cable (i.e. Fox). The New Media will be watching our backs now. When the MSM tries to lie, cheat and distort, they’re going to get called out on it. Publicly.

Therefore, we need to be more bold. More sure-footed. And more brave in what we do, and what we attempt. And we now need to stop worrying about what the “popular kids” are going to say behind our backs because we are the new “popular kids.”

We just need to start acting like it.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?