<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 11, 2005

Opportunity Wasted on the Unworthy

So Mike (of Different Tack fame) recently went to San Diego. Fine. I hear it’s raining there anyway. But! While there he happened to encounter a situation for which he was singularly unprepared. And unworthy.

While there in Sunny San Diego™, Mr. Mike happened to meet the Mexican Women’s National Soccer Team (link: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/Olysquad/0,3713,MEX-OFW-2004-7894-9,00.html - no pictures, you rampaging raft of lechers!).

Now, I know that soccer is an emerging sport in the US, but I do have some glancing interest in the sport, having been a coach of a girl’s soccer team for about seven years, and was responsible for the promotion of the sport in my local community for three of those years. As I understand it, Mike, too, was a soccer coach for a time (which only adds to his shame in this situation – he should have known better!).

So, knowing this, his own association with the sport, and his Very Important Friend’s connection with soccer, what does Mike do? Does he run down to the local sports store, buy a soccer ball (and a Sharpie), and gather autographs from this team of lady athletes? Does he do a little web research and discover that this team was the very first women’s team from Mexico to play in the Olympics? Does he get a few photographs of him and the players?

No. He’s Mike. If you get to know him you’ll understand what I mean.

Mike (hereinafter known as Evil Mike) does meet the coach and some of the staff, and does (to his credit) chat with some of the players. But the sheer injustice of this situation is without measure. It should have been me in that situation. I should have been the one on that trip, and I should have been the one to encounter that team. I would have acquired the requisite autographs and photos. I would have known how to build the foundation for some serious bragging rights. I could have been a contender!! Yeaaarrrrrggghhhhh!

Er. Yah. So, the point is that as much as I admonish my kids to not complain about “unfairness,” I have to say that this situation was so drastically unfair that it merits a comment here, on this exalted blog site.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?