<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 01, 2007

United Airlines Sucks (Volume II, Chapter 17)

First, check this.

And since I know you won't, I'll quote some of the most interesting parts for you.

In the sky! A bird? A plane? A ... UFO?
It sounds like a tired joke--but a group of airline employees insist they are in earnest, and they are upset that neither their bosses nor the government will take them seriously.

A flying saucerlike object hovered low over O'Hare International Airport for several minutes before bolting through thick clouds with such intense energy that it left an eerie hole in overcast skies, said some United Airlines employees who observed the phenomenon.

You get that? "United Airlines employees"?

That's right, those evil bastards who lost my goddamned baggage in December, while I was peaceably going about my business, being a civil servant designing weapons of war for the United States Government, lost my baggage as I was traveling from sanguine and coffee-ish Seattle to Virginia Beach, VA to wreak havoc on Mohammed's more "enthusiastic" minions.

But what were the employees of Untied (heh) Airlines doing at the time? Watching for friggin UFOs over O'Hare International. That's right, instead of justifying their measly Wal-Mart-like pay by looking after my knickers, books, and a really fetching pair of fishnet stockings, they had their heads in the clouds. Literally.

But this post has a serious point. Well, no it doesn't. But I get really annoyed by the increasing acceptability of "paranormal" crap like flying saucers and psychics. Big Foot. The Loch Ness Monster (I'm embarrassed to report that dictionary.com has a reference to that). But the increasing acceptance of bizarre and unproved ideas causes real harm to people who believe in them. Don't know how? Observe somebody who has taken the advice of your local sideshow psychic.

Heck, as another datum point, take the fact that United Airlines employees are spending their time looking out for damned UFOs instead of making sure my copy of the One Handed Karma Sutra made it to my rather lonely hotel room in Virginia.

So, the message is: paranormal is evil. Don't be evil.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?